Paper Storage Cube



I saw this post over at Family Fun and I knew I had to give it a go. I have so much 12" x 12" paper that needs to be organized. And since I always have extra used shipping boxes, I figured this project would fit within my designated crafting budget of: Practically Free.

I did mine a tad differently than the awesome people over at Family Fun, because I wanted my storage cube a little extra fancy. And even though I love the idea of repurposing used boxes, I didn't want any cardboard to show.

Here's what you'll need for my version:

Scissors
3 used shipping boxes
(I used priority mail medium flat rate boxes)
Packing tape
Wrapping paper
3 pieces of pretty scrapbook paper
2 rolls colored duct tape
(buy them at a craft store so you can use a 40% off coupon!)
2 extra random pieces of cardboard

Open up one of your boxes and cut off one whole front side and two middle flaps so it looks like this (when it's turned sideways):



Start duct taping:



Stick in a piece of your pretty scrapbook paper:


And duct tape it in place. And then duct tape some more. You don't need to duct tape those back side flaps because you won't see them when you fold the box back up. This is what the inside of your box should look like at the end of your duct tape bonanza.



Fold your box back up and tape it:


Disclaimer: Mine looks all new because I retouched the addresses out. I don't want the post office to come after me! I'm a little afraid of The Man.

Repeat with the other two boxes and then stack them all up. Wedge an extra random piece of cardboard between each layer for extra stability.

Seal the boxes together with packing tape.

Cover your new paper storage cube with beautiful wrapping paper:


Line the edges at front of the each box with another strip of duct tape. This will cover the seams between your box layers:


Gaze at the beauty:


Fill it up!



Look how great! I realize it's not as sturdy as a beautiful wood storage cube, but it has way more personality! And, since I had almost everything on hand already, I only had to spend about $5 on the white duct tape (yay for coupons!). You just can't beat $5 for organizational beauty.



Happy Crafting!