Brownie Pudding




A while ago Peyton and Ella were watching Barefoot Contessa with me. Ina Garten was making Brownie Pudding and when she was done, they both said, "That looks delicious!" My kids are not adventurous eaters, so if they think something new looks delicious, by golly, we're gonna make it. And if I have to sacrifice by eating that much luscious chocolate, well, it's worth it to help my children.

But here's the thing, to mix it all up, you're supposed to use a stand mixer, and I'm a whiny baby.

When I got married 8 years ago, I registered for, and received, a fancy KitchenAid stand mixer. Because I was trying to be all newlywedy homemakery. I can probably count on both hands how many times I've used it. Because it's heavy and I'm too lazy to get it out. When I really need it I resort to acting like a pouty little wimpy girl, "Honey! PLEEEEEASE will you get out the mixer?" And I whine about it until James unearths that 50-pound monstrosity from behind fifteen other kitchen appliances precariously wedged in the cabinet. Another reason I'm a whiny baby about the mixer is because you have to hand wash it. I don't think there are very many things more ridiculous than hand washing.

But again, as I am a good mother, I will sacrifice for chocolate. Kids! Dang it. I mean I will sacrifice for the kids!

Anyway, check this out: This dessert involves a water bath - wowee! Have you ever made a dessert with a water bath? Have you? Because now I'm feeling all high and mighty.

But then, to cancel out my pretend high and mighty living large feeling, I changed Ina Garten's recipe a little. Because I'm cheap and I'm not spending the extra money on real vanilla seeds. I used vanilla extract instead of a real vanilla bean. And I used 5 large eggs instead of her 4 extra large. And I skipped the framboise. And even with all those cheap-seeking changes:

Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive this Brownie Pudding is soooo good.

You may read the ingredients and think, "Well of course it's delicious, it's made with 5 pounds of butter and chocolate and sugar."
Here's my rebuttal: "So what."



Brownie Pudding

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the dish

5 large eggs, at room temperature

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Vanilla ice cream, for serving


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly butter a 2-quart (9 by 12 by 2-inch) oval baking dish. Melt the 1/2 pound of butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until very thick and light yellow. Meanwhile, sift the cocoa powder and flour together and set aside.

When the egg and sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla and the cocoa powder and flour mixture. Mix only until combined. With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter and mix again just until combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish and place it in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish and bake for exactly 1 hour. A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean. The center will appear very under-baked; this dessert is between a brownie and a pudding.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

And if your family is a bunch of piggies like we are:


Enjoy!