Mommy High

Here's a brief rundown of the Friday Mystery Reader program in Peyton's kindergarten class. At Parent Night a few weeks ago, parents could sign up to come in at a later date and read to the class. But of course, it's a "mystery," so when it's your Friday, you don't tell your child that you're coming in. You go into the school office and then the teacher calls and asks, "Is our Mystery Reader here?" And then you get to walk in and read a few of your kid's favorite books to the little kindergartners.

So, last Friday was my big day. I chose some of Peyton's favorite books from home and waited in the office. When I was called, I walked into the class and I was greeted like a rock star.

Peyton was sitting in the middle of all the kids on the reading rug. When he saw me, his face lit up and he smiled the biggest smile. He didn't want to take the time to make his way through all the kids, so he climbed over the couch in the middle of the room to get to me. He gave me the greatest hug and exclaimed, "It's my mommy!" He was just so proud to claim me as his.

So we made our way up to the reading chair and there was a little chair right next to it where he got to sit. I could tell by his excitement that it was obviously a very prestigious position. I pulled out the books I had brought from home and let him choose which order we read them in.


He would stop me every once in a while with big, smiling questions:
"I've been looking for this book everywhere! Where did you find it?"
"How come you didn't tell me you were coming?"
"Are you coming again?"


He loved showing off his books. Especially the Blue Ramone "Cars" book that "Is actually two books! And it has stickers in the middle!"

One of my very favorite moments came as we were reading Blue Ramone. Peyton interrupted me to ask the class, all teacher-like, "Now, who has a blue shirt on?" And the kids went wild pointing out all the blue on each other. So cute!


He saved his favorite book for last. Peyton has "The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog" memorized. Have you read it? It's hilarious. Plus, you get to yell when you read it. And it's where he learned the phrase: "Oh, for Pete's sake!" Which he loves to say very, very dramatically as he lands his palm across his forehead.


After that was nap time. So as the teacher put out all their mats, Peyton chose two of his books to read during rest time. He was just so proud to have his own books in the class. And before he settled in he gave me about twenty thousand hugs and kisses and "I love you's."

When I left, I was grinning ear to ear. I immediately called James and told him all about it. With tears in my eyes and all the happiness a mother can hold.


I will never forget this day.