Deliciousness - New Year's Day Recipes

Our New Year's Day traditional feast centers around chili dogs. My husband's family started it, and even though we don't see them every New Year's, we have faithfully kept the tradition alive. The side dishes don't matter, it's the chili dogs that are the strength of the tradition. And I'm not talking about fancy homemade chili or anything, either. I'm talking canned Hormel turkey chili with beans, diced white onions, yellow mustard, and shredded cheese. That's right baby. Chili dogs. Here are some recipes I tried out this year to accompany our feast.

I found a recipe on a box of Town House crackers for Cranberry Orange Cream Cheese Deliciousness, and I thought I'd give it a try. If you ever see me at a party, I'll be by the dip. It doesn't even matter what kind. Sour cream, cream cheese, salsa, guacamole, cheese - the base doesn't matter, I'll be there. And honestly, I don't ever buy Town House crackers, but the picture of the dip on the front of the box looked so good, I bought them. 
I've changed the recipe a little bit to match what I had on hand, and I changed their recipe title too, because Cranberry Delight Spread is a dumb title. If you add Deliciousness into any title, it makes it better. No joke.


Cranberry Orange Cream Cheese Deliciousness

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (just cut a slice of the orange you used for the grated orange peel and squeeze it)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
Crackers

1. In small mixing bowl beat cream cheese, orange peel, orange juice, sugar, and cinnamon until fluffy.
2. Stir in cranberries and pecans (if using). Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Serve with crackers.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

There's another tradition in James' family. When we lived in California, once a year we would drive an hour to dine in a restaurant called Clearman's North Woods Inn. It looks like an old log cabin with a fake snow-covered roof. While you are waiting for your table, they give you peanuts. As you eat the peanuts you get to throw the shells on the floor. It's kind of awesome. Peanut shells everywhere! How can you not love that? Anyway, with your meal, they serve you garlic cheese bread,  iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing, and red cabbage salad. If you ever see Clearman's Original Cheese Spread in the grocery store - get it - it's what they use to make their garlic cheese bread and it's seriously delicious.  And if you like sweet and sour food, you'll love it this red cabbage recipe. 

When I was pregnant with Peyton, I craved balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Although I love tomatoes, they were really just a vehicle to get the vinegar into my mouth. I love vinegar. I love the smell, I love the taste. Any kind, it doesn't matter. Needless to say, just thinking about this salad makes my mouth water. You are supposed to let it marinate for at least 48 hours, but we've eaten ours after only 7 hours and it was wonderful. Which is good, because having to plan a salad 48 hours in advance is a ridiculous idea. 


Northwoods Inn Red Cabbage Salad

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 head red cabbage

1. Whisk together oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, sugar, salt, Lawry's, pepper, and onion powder in a large bowl.
2. Shred half of the cabbage finely and the other half coarsely. Add it to the dressing and toss well.
3. Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 48 hours or until cabbage turns deep red, softens a bit, and flavors meld. It's even better after a few days.


Happy Eating!